Morgan dollar popular coin with collectors By William T. Gibbs COIN WORLD Staff For decades the Morgan dollar has ranked at the top U.S. coin collectors’ favorite coins.
- AMERICA’S MOST POPULAR COIN – The Morgan Silver Dollar — so named for its designer, U.S. Mint Assistant Engraver George T. Morgan — has stood the test of time. Struck from 1878-1904 and again in 1921. Morgan’s historic design depicts a profile of Lady Liberty on the obverse while the reverse features an eagle with outstretched wings.
- STRUCK IN GLEAMING AMERICAN SILVER – Morgan Silver Dollars were struck in 26.73 grams of 90% silver and measure 38.1 mm in diameter.
- LEGAL TENDER SILVER DOLLARS – These coins were $1 legal tender in the United States.
- EXTREMELY FINE CONDITION – Your 1897-S Morgan Silver dollar will come in nice Extremely Fine (XF) condition.
- THE CASE OF THE DISAPPEARING MORGANS – While millions of Morgan Silver Dollars were struck from 1878 through 1921, massive silver meltings and the ravages of time have taken their toll. Today coin experts believe that only 15% of all Morgans ever struck remain in existence.
Morgan Silver Dollars are by far the most popular among investors & collectors throughout the USA.